1. What is SQL?
SQL (pronounced “ess-que-el“) stands for Structured Query Language. SQL is used to communicate with a database. According to ANSI (American National Standards Institute), it is the standard language for relational database management systems. SQL statements are used to perform tasks such as update data on a database, or retrieve data from a database. Some common relational database management systems that use SQL are: Oracle, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, Access, Ingres, etc. Although most database systems use SQL, most of them also have their own additional proprietary extensions that are usually only used on their system. However, the standard SQL commands such as “Select”, “Insert”, “Update”, “Delete”, “Create”, and “Drop” can be used to accomplish almost everything that one needs to do with a database.
In this video we are going to learn the Basics of SQL. How to make Database Tables and Short history of SQL programming:
2. SQL statements and Commands
A statement is any text that the database engine recognizes as a valid command. An SQL–statement is a string of characters that conforms to the format and syntax rules specified in this international standard.
Some of The Most Important SQL Commands:
- SELECT – extracts data from a database
- UPDATE – updates data in a database
- DELETE – deletes data from a database
- INSERT INTO – inserts new data into a database
- CREATE DATABASE – creates a new database
- ALTER DATABASE – modifies a database
- CREATE TABLE – creates a new table
- ALTER TABLE – modifies a table
- DROP TABLE – deletes a table
- CREATE INDEX – creates an index (search key)
- DROP INDEX – deletes an index
Learn How to make SQL statements with this video:
3. MySQL for RDBMS
MySQL is the most popular Open Source Relational SQL database management system. MySQL is one of the best RDBMS being used for developing web-based software applications. MySQL is a fast, easy-to-use RDBMS being used for many small and big businesses. MySQL is developed, marketed, and supported by MySQL AB, which is a Swedish company.